Sr. Design Engineer
Dorel Juvenile is the world's leading juvenile products company. Our well-known products and strong brands Max-Cosi and Tiny Love are complemented by regional brands. Dorel Juvenile’s powerfully branded products include global brands Maxi-Cosi and Tiny Love, complemented by regional brands such as Safety 1st, BebeConfort, Cosco, and Infanti are available in more than 100 countries.
Dorel Industries Inc. (TSX: DII.B, DII.A) is a global organization, operating two distinct businesses in juvenile products and home products. Dorel has annual sales of US$1.7 billion and employs approximately 4,200 people in facilities located in twenty-two countries worldwide.
We are looking for a Senior (Lead) Engineer to help us create a new generation of innovative products across our highly regulated Juvenile Consumer Products industry for the North American market focusing on child restraint seats (CRS). This position will be working on the development and validation of products from conception through design, sourcing, testing and production to ensure products meet applicable Regulations and performance requirements. Working as part of the Product Development team, you will bring technical leadership and inspiration to our engineering efforts and ensure that imaginative but credible solutions populate our ambitious product roadmap. In addition to CRS development, this position may also help supporting juvenile product improvements projects both on the CRS and non-CRS category. Minimal travel is required within North America and an occasional visit to China.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
• Research and provide new technological opportunities to drive category innovation and market share expansion.
• Lead product development projects in design engineering, specifications development, concept and feasibility assessment, design reviews, prototyping and testing.
• Provide product design engineering and product quality engineering services to ensure all developed and sourced products meet design goals, marketing objectives, and quality, compliance and safety requirements.
• Conduct benchmarking and GAP analysis of competitor samples and incorporate competitive advantages/solutions into designs.
• Understand system and sub-system level interactions and failure modes. Drive design and technical reviews.
• Lead detailed design of components and sub-assemblies by material selection, dimensions and tolerances to meet product specifications and manufacturing feasibility through technical analysis including DFMEA, Tolerance Analysis, FEA and DFM/DFA.
• Generate and manage technical specifications, technical data (3D and 2D), technical product definitions and functional descriptions for new product development projects.
• Develop measurement systems to provide data and rationales for Dorel internal product requirements.
• Integrate “voice of the consumer” considerations into new product development.
• Develop and manage Design Validation Plans (DVP) including all Regulatory, Compliance and Dorel internal requirements.
• Communicate ideas quickly and effectively using a combination of sketching, CAD layouts, 3D models and working prototypes to evaluate potential solutions.
• Troubleshoot test failures, generate solution concepts and provide guidance for design changes and test protocol improvements for non-conforming product.
• Evaluate product samples and provide feedback and direction for proposed design solutions to address technical shortcomings to global product development teams and sourcing teams.
• Support engineering for test fixture design and prototype creation by utilizing on-site 3D printing and machine shop services.
• Evaluate product packaging and instruction manuals to validate product functionality is clearly communicated in relation to intended design goals, product marketing claims, and legal cautions and warnings.
• Drive and participate in VA/VE activities during and post-development to increase profitability and enhance product function without compromising product cost.
• Continually evaluate and improve designs for cost effectiveness, manufacturing improvements, increased reliability, consumer usability and value.
• Work in conjunction with the lab test team to develop necessary new test methods for new and existing products.
• Provide technical support to the Customer Care team related to developed and sourced products.
• Ability to manage multitask daily activities with low supervision (self-driven).
• Evaluate and interpret intellectual property landscape to determine viability of design solutions for implementation into new product development projects.
Education, Experience and Skills:
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Master degree in Engineering/Technology is a plus
• Six Sigma Belt Certified and proof of application preferred.
• Minimum 8+ years of experience in a mechanical design engineering environment, preferably within Consumer Goods Industry.
• Advanced knowledge in plastic injection molded components design. Experience in sheet metal stampings would be a plus
• Proficient in design tools including DFMEA, GD&T, Tolerance Stack up.
• Knowledge of related ASTM/FMVSS/CMVSS standards that pertain to juvenile consumer products desired.
• Strong communication skills and is comfortable working in cross functional teams, including globally.
• Proven structured approach to creative problem solving using A3s, 8Ds, etc.
• Significant experience with 3D design using CAD platforms, SolidWorks preferred.
• Microsoft office skills required, experience with Excel VBA coding is a plus.
• Basic manual tool skills required, machine tool (lathe and mill) experience a plus.
Are you ready to grow with us?
Dorel Juvenile provides people the invaluable opportunity to make a difference. To work on leading brands together with talented people across the globe, and to keep growing both personally and professionally. Take the next step in your career and join our quest to improve the parenting journey for millions of families around the world.