Advanced Development Engineer
Dorel Industries Inc. (TSX: DII.B, DII.A) is a global organization, operating two distinct businesses in juvenile products and home products. Dorel’s strength lies in the diversity, innovation, and quality of its products as well as the superiority of its brands. Dorel Juvenile’s powerfully branded products include global brands Maxi-Cosi and Tiny Love, complemented by regional brands such as Safety 1st, BebeConfort, Cosco, and Infanti. Dorel Home, with its comprehensive e-commerce platform, markets a wide assortment of domestically produced and imported furniture. Dorel has annual sales of US$1.7 billion and employs approximately 4,200 people in facilities located in twenty-two countries worldwide.
This position provides Dorel Juvenile Advanced Development (AD) Team support in developing Advanced Products. The Advanced Development Engineer partners with the US AD Manager in the operational aspects of the process to create new ideas and transform these new ideas into commercialization-ready products.
This position is responsible for Advanced Product Projects as well as Processes and will involve working with the Global Advanced Product team, Sales & Marketing team, Consumer Care team, internal product development teams, suppliers, retailers and third-party laboratories and service providers.
The Advanced Development Engineer will directly report to the Vice President – Global Quality and Advanced Development.
This role will be eligible for a hybrid (mix of on-site/remote), work schedule.
• Apply knowledge of children products market trends to foresee evolution in the market and features/technologies for future implementation.
• Work with customer support groups to identify areas to improve the usability of existing products and achieve a higher level of customer satisfaction.
• Evaluate new technologies and assess its feasibility for incorporation into children’s products.
• Manage cross-functional projects of various sizes and scope.
• Develop best-in-class processes, systems, and standard operating procedures as well as drive continual improvement.
• Participate in ideation events, promoting creative thinking and identification of innovative solutions.
• Ensure that regulatory and internal risk reduction requirements are created and communicated for new product proposals and support other functions such as Marketing, Product Development, Sales, Customer Care, and Legal.
• Assess the applicability of regulatory requirements to new product proposals.
• Work with internal and external groups to translate new concept into a functional working model to demonstrate the viability of a new proposal to other teams within the organization.
• Communicate technical requirements to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Track progress and develop corrective actions to ensure on time delivery.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills;
• Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline is required (ME preferred)
• 3-5 years experience in a similar environment is highly preferred
• Must be able to think creatively and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Basic knowledge of electronics
• Basic knowledge of computer programming or APP development
• Basic knowledge of theory of Finite Element Analysis
• Basic cost estimates
• Knowledge of Design of Experiments
• Must be able to handle basic hand tools
• Strong attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must be able to use Microsoft suite of software (or equivalent)
• Must be able to use CAD software (SolidWorks preferred)
• Must also be comfortable learning web applications and proprietary software
• Must be comfortable communicating with all levels of an organization
Are you ready to grow with us?
Dorel Juvenile provides people the invaluable opportunity to make a difference. To work on leading brands together with talented people across the globe, and to keep growing both personally and professionally. Take the next step in your career and join our quest to improve the parenting journey for millions of families around the world.